The Joy of Spring

 It is undeniably Spring, and it lifts my spirits whenever I step outside. Is there anything more joyful than a tui singing its avian heart out in a kowhai tree weighted down with sunny flowers? Flower buds are also coming in all over my crabapple, wich seems to be responding well to pruning.



Spring in Wellington brings our strongest North winds, and we have already had our share of being buffeted with gale force gusts. Only one thing has blown over in the garden so far - a not very well fastened-down wooden trellis. A reminder to always keep the wind in mind when garden planning. My tallest veggie vines are going in the more sheltered back garden; the trellis in the more open front garden is getting completely rebuilt for stronger winds. Last year I was mending it all Fall when the vigorous runner beans were all over it and the winds kept knocking it over.


Friends, I have not been able to get much time in the garden these last two weeks. More urgent matters arose, and here I am, behind in my seed raising plans already. I refuse to feel bad about it. This garden is for enjoying, and life happens. There's always next week. At least I have taken pretty good care of the seedlings I have started. The silverbeet has been potted up into bigger seedling pots - only a week or two later than would have been ideal. And the corriander finally  started popping up this week. Half the peas seedlings are looking good and the other half look really think and sickly. As peas love a cooler climate, I suspect it gets too hot in the cold frame for them on a sunny day. As the days get warmer, I probably need a safe place out of the frame to put some of my seedlings in the daytime.



Just yesterday I finally got around to looking at my garden plan to see what seeds to start this month. I started butternut squash, couregette, and dill. The dill was meant to start last month, but it's not too late. I made sure to start enough courgette (zucchini for the Americans) for my parents to have some too. My cold frame is suddenly looking rather full. But the silverbeet and peas should get planted out soon. Which means - oh yeah - I really need to finish preparing my main garden bed where they will be going. This is probably what I will be working on for what remains of the month.


Spring is a busy time in the garden, and I must remember not to let myself stress about all that needs doing. I remind myself to pause and feel the joy and sense of renewal that Spring brings, like the tui in the kowhai tree.



Comments

  1. How exciting! I came to your blog from the Shadowbox Post, lovely to see a fellow Wellington gardener :) we don't move into our new home until October so gardening has to wait. I look forward to reading more of your gardening posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there fellow Wellington gardener and Shadowboxer. October is a great time to start on a new garden! I started this blog last year partly as a way to document my progress after we moved into our new place and started with a massively overgrown and cluttered garden. Best of luck with your new home and garden.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts