What a Garden is For

   It is Winter for a little while longer, yet everywhere in the garden I see signs of Spring. The little forget-me-nots that self seed all over the garden are starting to bloom. On the fig tree, you can see the  leaf and fruit buds getting fat. Everything deciduous is starting to wake up again. 

   And perhaps it has been this way for weeks, but here we are in our second ever Level 4 lockdown and I am noticing things. I have not done much in the garden since my last post, friends. For the usual Winter reasons: I have been busy, the weather has been terrible, I have had colds. This time last year I was pruning my fruit trees a little late. This year I haven't pruned anything yet. 

   The fact is I've been in a daze the last four days with this snap lockdown. But I've been outside, in the garden, or going for nature walks at the stream near our house. Today was spectacularly clear. I went for a long walk, and I spent some time just being in the garden. I'm usually so busy doing in the garden. Even if the doing is assessing and planning, observing and problem-solving. But right now is a good time to just be in the garden. To just sit and do nothing, not even make lists in my head of all the things that need doing. This is part of what a garden is for, even a veggie garden. For solace, for comfort, for reconnecting with nature. 

   Soon, I will be busy doing again. The weeding, the pruning, the plans and schemes, the starting of Spring seedlings. There is no end to it, and that is one of the things I love about it.

   Tomorrow, perhaps, I will get out my spade and find comfort in the doing. But some days are just for being.

  Here are a few pictures from the garden over the last couple of days.



Forget-me-Nots after the rain



Signs of Spring on the fig tree


Veggie bed with plenty of weeds, but also plenty of veggies


These peas still going strong despite many setbacks - and finally growing some pods



I love the crinkly, dark green leaves on the cavolo nero

Comments

Popular Posts